A recent DoorDash menu study found that customization is a top factor for merchant success, attracting a wider range of customers who want to tailor orders to their taste.
Not only do modifiers improve your customer experience, but they are also a chance for you to up charge and increase ticket size. As an example, according to our 2023 Restaurant Online Ordering Trends Report, french fries were the #1 top menu item ordered on DoorDash in the US in 2022. Thus, if you include french fries as a side, you might be able to make more. As you design your Doordash menu, modifiers are a great way to increase order size.
What is a modifier?
A modifier is an option for customers to add to or change a specific item. There are a couple of different ways to incorporate modifiers into your DoorDash menu, some examples include:
Adding a side, dessert, or drink to any entree
Offering toppings or other additions (like extra protein) to items like salads, bowls, burgers
Providing multiple size options to choose from
How to create a new modifier
You can add modifiers to your menu in the Menu Manager in the Merchant Portal:
1. At the top, toggle over to Modifiers.
2. On the Modifiers page, click New Modifier on the right.
3. Next a new modifier detail panel will open and you can add the modifier’s name.
4. Underneath Used in, use the search bar to find which menu items you want the new modifier available for.
5. You can also add different options for the modifier, such as size, spice level, etc. and specific prices for pick up and delivery.
6. Under “Rules,” you can set if choosing a modifier is required for every order or if people can choose more than one option.
7. Click Save Changes.
If you’re on a mobile device
1. Navigate to Menu and select Modifiers.
2. On the top right of the Modifiers page, tap on the + button.
3. In the next screen, fill out the New Modifier name, setting, options, and price.
4. In the Used in section, tap on the search bar to find items to add the new modifier to.
5. Tap Save Changes.
How to edit modifiers
To edit a modifier, head back over to the Menu Manager.
1. Navigate to the Modifiers tab and select the modifier you want to edit.
Here you can edit the existing information, such as the name, description, what items it’s available with, and more. If you’d like to add a new option for this modifier, enter its name and specify the pickup and delivery prices. You can also note if you’ve run out of a modifier and it’s no longer available for the rest of the day.
2. Click Save Changes.
How to remove a modifier
1. Click Modifiers at the top.
2. Select the modifier, and remove the attached item by clicking X next to the item name.
1. In the Overview tab, click into a menu item.
2. Click on the modifier you wish to change to go to the corresponding menu item’s page where you can edit/remove the modifier directly.
If you’re on a mobile device
1. In the Overview tab, tap into a menu item.
2. Find the modifier you want to remove and tap the three dots on the top right.
3. A pop-up screen will appear. Click on the Remove from item.
4. Tap on Save Changes.
How to edit DoorDash menu modifiers across multiple menus
You can edit modifier availability across multiple locations.
Within an item that contains a modifier, click View to the right of the modifier you need to edit.
Once you click the Manage Availability button, you’ll be able to select for which location(s) you want the modifier to appear.
In this section, you’ll be able to:
Select/Deselect all stores this item should appear on
Search for an individual or specific location
See at a glance whether the item is available or unavailable at individual stores
Once you determine which location(s) should carry the modifier you’re editing, you’ll click the red Edit Locations button.
Choose between: Mark as Available, Mark as Unavailable for Today, or Mark as Unavailable Indefinitely.
Click Confirm. The change will be applied to the modifier in question at the locations specified.
Keep in mind, if you choose to deactivate an option within a modifier, it will apply to all stores connected to the menu and all items connected to the Modifier. Head to How to Add Menu Items and Descriptions to learn how to edit items across multiple locations.
Are you looking for other ways to increase orders and build a loyal customer base? Check out our article on How to Increase Order Size and Volume.